Tuesday, June 28, 2011

blog post 9!



"Mr. McClung; What I've Learned This Year"
While reading this blog, I would have never known that he was only a first year teacher. He was so thorough in his blog and his experiences and all of his mistakes that he had performed through out the year. While reading this blog it also showed me that there are many things that I need to be aware of in and out of the classroom, and also to learn from not only his mistakes but every mistake that is made by any teacher. No one is perfect, so we will all make mistakes, but by making mistakes it will help us to grow and learn. In his reading the crowd and be flexible segments, those are two things that I need to work on. I can read some facial expressions but I like to know that the crowd is understanding and comprehending what is being said. For the being flexible part, I need to brush up on that skill because I do tend to stick to my old way some. Communication is the biggest factor in having any type of relationship with anyone; girlfriend, boyfriend, teacher, student, fellow employees, and even your students parents. For the don't section, I completely agree with each of his sections! Great Blog, glad I got the opportunity to read it all from someone's first year of teaching.

5 comments:

  1. Great post, Kelsey! It is so great to see that you are using this blog post to think critically about yourself as a teacher! This post really shows how much you care about being a teacher by the ways you are trying to make improvements. Keep up the good work! I look forward to hearing more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great blog especially coming from a first year teacher as this is where we will soon be. I agree there are many things we need to be aware of especially not be afraid to make mistakes as we all will do. Let's get ready because our day will soon be here, I'm sure we will blog of our experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "...but every mistake that is made by any teacher." Well, that is a very tall order! Maybe that you are aware of!

    Last week Mr. McClung posted his third annual reflection. I think they get better and better. It will take only 5 minutes or so to read the 2010-2011 What I Learned This Year I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelsey,

    Mr. McClung did indeed give us little nuggets of wisdom that will be invaluable our first year teaching.

    I was struck by his advice on How to Read a Crowd, and Communication, as you were too. I can also see your point regarding being flexible. You wrote that you, "tend to stick to your old ways." I feel that is a natural response shared by many. From personal experience, how liberating it is to break out of our so called "old ways" and try new things, new methods. Many times you will discover feelings of satisfaction and excitement, becoming re-energergized over the mundane.

    If you have not already, I agree with Dr. Strange about reading McClung's third annual reflection. They do get better and better!

    Have a safe and happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "No one is perfect, so we will all make mistakes, but by making mistakes it will help us to grow and learn."

    This is so true. It is possible to give your 100% and to end the day only to realize that you could have done things so much better. All that means is just that you are being a reflective practitioner. Reflection is crucial, and I think Mr. McClung would agree!

    ReplyDelete