Sunday, June 26, 2011

blog post 8!

Learn to Change, Change to Learn
In this video you can see that many different educators all have one thing in common and that is the belief that something has got to change in the education system and the teachings of our children. There needs to be more technology in the classrooms and less use of the textbooks. With the way society is now with technology, why are schools so far behind in keeping up with the world? Technology is everywhere so why not try and incorporate it into the schooling systems?!

The Chipper Series and EDM310 for Dummies
In the "Chipper Series" video Chipper drops out of school because she did not like the way that Dr.Strange did not teach the class like all of her other teachers had done in the previous years. She wanted him to teach her so she does not have to learn anything, but his way of teaching is letting the students explore and teach themselves. Through out this semester, I can actually say that I have actually learned something. I am a visual and hands on learner, and being able to do all of these projects and assignments helps me understand what I am actually learning and doing, and not forgetting the material.
In the "EDM310 for Dummies" video that is a replica of how I was just hearing about the class. At the beginning of the video, the students were going crazy and did not grasp the concept of why they were having to learn what they were assigned, but once they read the book, they were calmed and were able to complete their assignments. I was going crazy the first two classes wondering how I would ever get all of the work completed, but once I started to get the hang of how blogs, assignments, and projects go it is not so bad after all!

Carly Pugh's Blog
Carly's blog was awesome. She seems to have such a creative mind. When I have been on Twitter, she has tweeted a video, or a blog to watch and they are always so interesting. Her blog is so well written, hints why she wants to be an English major, it makes me jealous. Her idea of a playlist would be something that I would never think to do, but now that she has mentioned it, it seems like a fabulous idea. It seems that it would get the children more interested in the subject that they were learning if they got assigned to do a playlist. Carly has hit the spot on what Dr. Miller had wanted to come from his video. This was a great blog, and I am sure I will be going back to read more of her blogs or watch videos that she has suggested via Twitter or Blogger.

This is How We Dream Parts 1 and 2
From these two videos you can conclude that Dr. Richard Miller is all about easing our lives with the use of technology. With the big role that technology plays in our lives today, what's not to like about it?! With the many different tools that you can use on the internet and computer from: email, skyping, searching up words and places and getting results fast, being able to have a social network to share your life on, podcast, and being able to upload videos and pictures from your other technology tools. From being able to do all of the work you may need in a classroom, from making lesson plans, or making a test it can be done all from your computer. For we as a society have relied on pens, pencil, and paper for so long it is time for the upgrade!
Having the technology that we have today, has put life at ease, for some. With only half of the semester being complete in EDM I feel as if I have learned so much more than what I will ever be able to take in and use in my classroom. By learning how to blog, and being able to see other educators blogs and ideas, is really a great idea. A little sharing never hurt anyone! I hope that when my time to be in the classroom teaching comes that pen and paper will still be used, but that more technology is used for teaching the students!

2 comments:

  1. " When I have been on Twitter, she has tweeted a video, or a blog to watch and they are always so interesting. Her blog is so well written, hints why she wants to be an English major, it makes me jealous. " If you would carefully edit your paper your writing would be a lot better. For example, take sentences I have quoted above. I would rewrite it like this:
    on Twitter she often tweets a video or a blog to watch. They are always interesting. Her blog is well written. I am not surprised she wants to major in English. I would like to write like she does.

    Or this sentence: "Having the technology that we have today, has put life at ease, for some."

    I would write: The technology we have today makes life easier for many.

    You misuse commas a lot. You can get help on your writing from the Writing Lab in Alpha East. You are not a terrible writer. But you could be a much better writer if you work at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how hands-on has different meanings for different age groups. You said that you were happy that this class was hands-on because you will remember it longer and understand it better. Kids are the same way! I believe that true learning takes place with project-based learning. Thats what EDM is all about, and I hope you run your classroom the same way!

    ReplyDelete