Sunday, July 10, 2011

blog post 12

Read Education World: Integrating Technology in the Classroom: It takes more than just having computers. and of the twenty ways that it list to integrate technology into the classroom, pick a minimum of three and describe why you chose each.


After reading this article, it has come to make me realize that something as small as the weather can be shown to the students with technology and that it may actually be more enjoyable than the pictures that you have in your classroom for the weather. For the ones that I chose that would be interesting but yet fun for the students would be; provide online reading comprehension practice, access an online weather forecast, introduce a word of the day, provide a URL in the place of a quote, and send the students off with a smile. For the first one of providing online comprehension practice, I chose this one because I was and still am a student who has to read something many times in order to comprehend it. I like to be hands on in class, and not "burp back the material" as Dr. Strange says. I feel as if there are many students who are just like myself, but yet feel as if they can not pass anything because they do not get the material right away like others and they actually have to work for their grades. Having the help and practice online, may help and ease themselves in knowing that they may be able to comprehend and learn better with practice. For the second one of accessing an online weather forecast, I think that would be great. I have already decided that I would like a "buddy class" to Skype with, and how awesome would it be if they were somewhere up North, and we could compare our weather forecast to how theirs is?! I feel as if the students would find it interesting that we may be in a sweater, when they are bundled up in a snow storm. For the word of the day, I think that is a great idea whether technology is around or not. Just being able to introduce a new word to the students and enhance and broaden their vocabulary is a small step, but in the end it will pay off. I am one for having quotes everywhere; in my car, my room, Facebook, everywhere. I love to be surrounded by positive things, and having positive quotes in the classroom may make the students feel as if they can do whatever they put their minds too. For the last one of send your students off with a smile, just to end the day off on a good note tell the students a joke and get a laugh or two out of them. Lighten the mood for the students know that it is almost time to go home. I am so glad I found this website because with the twenty ways listed and then over fifty other websites that you can go to and visit for other ways is awesome and I plan on bookmarking it and using it when I get into the classroom atmosphere.

2 comments:

  1. Kelsey, I think you found a great article! It has so many different ides that would work great in the classroom! I like the idea of having a "buddy class" to skype with. This would definitely get the students involved! Good job finding this, I'm sure a lot of people can get great use out of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are all (or should be) learners - for life! Your ideas are very interesting and should be successful. I really liked the "Buddy Skype" weather idea.

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete